History

History of First United Methodist Church of Bellevue
 
 

1952
First service of the new Bellevue mission church held in Green's Chapel of Flowers. On October 5, World Communion Day, Bellevue Methodist Church was chartered under the guidance of the Rev. John W. Caughlan with twenty-nine charter members, four of them children.
1954
The Rev. H. Paul Smith arrived from Kentucky to be the first appointed minister. While continuing to meet at Bellevue and Enatai Elementary Schools, the congregation purchased three acres of land for a permanent church.
1956
Following the cornerstone-laying ceremony in May, the congregation moved into its new building in July.
1960
The Rev. Kenneth Underwood appointed Pastor. Ground was broken for a new addition.
1966
Chester Morgan appointed first Associate Pastor.
1969
Completion of the third and final building, the permanent sanctuary, was marked by a Consecration Ceremony on March 19, during which the congregation processed from the old sanctuary to the new.
1969
Dr. William Welch appointed Senior Pastor. The Rev. Gordon King (1970) was appointed Associate Pastor, followed by the Revs. Rick Coghill (1975), Russ Rehm (1978), Greg Zimmer (1980), Gordon Schnee (1984), Beryl Ingram-Ward (1984), and Flora Bowers (1988).
1985
Wednesday Wonder Workers organized.
1987
Dr. Craig Parrish appointed Senior Pastor.
1988
Dedication of First United Methodist Church of Bellevue. Celebration of mortgage-burning marked the move from 1952 bank balance of $7.00 to physical plant valued at $1.5 million.
1990
Sponsorship of Ukrainian family was initiated. Opening of our church to the homeless. Sharing our facilities with the Chinese Mei Hua Congregation. A new roof project was begun.
1990
Rev. James Vance appointed Minister of Visitation.
1991
Rev. David Braun appointed Senior Pastor.
1991
First volunteer crew, "Short Term Volunteers in Mission," traveled to California to aid in earthquake relief; followed by trips to Montana, the Sager-Brown Depot in Louisiana, and trips to the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
1997
Pipe organ installed.
2000
Dr. Melvin Woodworth appointed Senior Pastor.
2000
Elevator installed. Kitchen & nursery remodeled.
2001
Rev. Crystal Sygeel appointed as Ministries Coordinator.
2005
Rev. Dr. Beryl Ingram appointed Senior Pastor.
2007
Sharing our facilities with a Korean United Methodist Church.
2009
2012
2012
Hosted Tent City 4 – a community for the homeless
Stained glass windows installed in sanctuary south wall
Rev. Stephen Tarr appointed Senior Pastor.